Letters

MAKING PURPOSEFUL BANTAM CONNECTIONS

So excited to read about Joe Catrino’s groundbreaking work transforming Trinity’s Career Development Center (“That Next Step,” spring 2019). Especially impressed with his integration of design thinking from the powerful Designing Your Life program out of Stanford University. Helping students develop the tools to find more meaningful connections between their near-term studies and their career path is one way Trinity is setting itself apart. This methodology resonates with us alumni as well. As secretary for the Class of 1982, I have been hearing fascinating updates from classmates exploring late-stage career transitions. Whether prompted by personal passions or triggered by forces beyond their control, these alumni are forging new pathways. As someone who has navigated a few career evolutions myself, I have come to appreciate the help that a supportive circle provides—especially the connections within our Trinity Bantam Network. The Designing Your Life program is a refreshing and illuminating approach. So grateful Trinity has such an energizing leader paving the way to help our students and alumni forge more purposeful connections going forward.  

Thank you for another fascinating feature article.

Ellin Carpenter Smith ’82
Windsor, Connecticut

ADMIRATION FOR ALUMNUS

My name is Meaghan Race [’18, M’19]. Still strange to think I’m an alumna since I’m not too far removed from my time at Trinity. I read the article on Dr. Eric Manheimer in The Reporter (“Sharing Patients’ Stories,” fall 2019) and to be frank was overjoyed and impressed to have attended the same college as an individual I have such admiration for. I am currently working in N.Y.C. at Mount Sinai Hospital while I apply for medical school, and I was unaware that I had a connection with Dr. Manheimer. … I simply want to reach out to thank him. It might sound a little corny, but his philosophy on medicine has played a huge part in my journey toward pursuing this career path.

Meaghan Race ’18, M’19
New York, New York

AT THE TABLE WHEN TRINITY WENT COED

I may be one of the only living members of the Board of Trustees at the time this transition [to coeducation] occurred. Perhaps the only living one! I was an alumni trustee from 1969 to 1975 in the period when the transition was taking place. Interestingly, although I was already nine years out of Trinity (Class of 1960), I was probably 20–25 years younger than the rest of the trustees. I had previously been president of the Boston Trinity Alumni Club and later received the Trinity Alumni Medal for Excellence. It was a most interesting set of discussions as the realities of going coed unfolded. I was particularly fond of and respected President Lockwood’s leadership not only in guiding the board to the decision but also the transitional controversies that followed.

I had planned to attend the celebration that occurred in San Francisco last year marking the start of the many events. Unfortunately, I was ill and could not get there. The events planned for the Women at the Summit program this next month sound intriguing and appropriate. Alas, all are on the East Coast, so I won’t be able to join but will hope to see the streamed version.

Marv Peterson ’60
Aptos, California

WANT TO WRITE A LETTER?

The Trinity Reporter welcomes letters related to items published in recent issues. Please send remarks to the editor at sonya.adams@trincoll.edu or Sonya Adams, Office of Communications, Trinity College, 300 Summit Street, Hartford, CT 06106.