Mabels Lobster Claw -Philip McCabe

pasted-image       Mabels Lobster Claw opened its doors in Kennebunkport, Maine in 1953, and has since been known to have one of the best lobster rolls in the state of Maine. Mabels is a classic example of a mom and pops restaurant with simple menu items like fried scallops, clam chowder, and everything lobster. I spend my summers in Kennebunkport and struggle to go a few days without a Mabel’s lobster role. On the majority of my visits, I rarely see an empty table, and often times there is a line out the door. It is safe to say Mabels is a successful business based on multiple factors: location nationally, food quality, service, reputation, and ambiance.

rfl_23618     Kennebunkport is located on the coast of Maine about 1.5 hours north of Boston. Its extreme difference in weather between seasons, facing brutal winters and gorgeous summers, forces the town to be mostly seasonal. For this reason Mabels, along with the majority of local restaurants are closed for half the year. In order for seasonal businesses to be successful, they must make enough money in-season to turn a profit after costs in the off-season, given zero income. While much of its business is from local residents whether permanent or seasonal, the majority of Mabel’s customers are tourists looking for cooler summer weather. As one may presume, tourists of Kennebunkport have countless options for restaurants selling lobster rolls and fried scallops. That being said, they choose Mabels not because of its location, which is about a mile outside the town, but because of its phenomenal reputation, thanks to the tastiest recipes, an old small town feel inside, and extremely consistent quality service.