Join the Conversation

10 Comments

1. Isabelle, I sincerely enjoyed reading your thesis presentation! I believe that assessing differences in maternal care under private and public health insurance raises an important and valuable discussion. Even though the gaps in maternal care were not significant, I agree with your discussion about other possible factors and possible improvements and your valid limitations. I would be interested in learning more about a possible divide between the two groups given the original research plan.

1. Thank you Serena! I absolutely think that it is necessary for future research to recruit a larger sample size and investigate any differences between the two groups.

2. Isabelle, this is a great project. You mention that women in the focus group stressed the need for earlier postpartum visits. Was there a difference in this between the private and medicaid covered women in this?

1. For the six interviews that I conducted, all of the participants were covered by private insurance therefore no comparisons could be made. They stressed the importance of having earlier postpartum visits to ensure that their questions were being answered. Many women expressed that they had encountered postpartum anxiety which was not something that they were not expecting and did not have receive information about during their visits.

3. Isabelle, it is clear that you have put a lot of time and dedication into your thesis project! I wholeheartedly agree that the differences between the benefits of private and public healthcare is important to examine, especially when it pertains to maternal pre and post-partum care. What role, if any, do you think that cognitive, physical or both disabilities play in the patient’s assessment of their satisfaction for their health insurance?

1. That is a great question, Hannah! I think that having cognitive and/or physical disabilities would play a role in the patient’s level of satisfaction depending on the ways in which their disabilities were treated during their pregnancy. Not having their needs met or being treated differently by their providers, as I can imagine, could negatively impact their level of satisfaction.

4. This is an important project, Isabelle, and a fantastic poster! It would be interesting to know how satisfaction related both to people’s coverage (what was covered, what wasn’t) and to their coverage prior to pregnancy (if it changed). For example, I switched plans during my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies so that I could have better coverage — but I’m very lucky to have had the option to do so!

1. Yes, Professor Casserly! I was very interested in seeing if satisfaction related both to the services covered and their coverage prior to pregnancy. The majority of the participants had consistent coverage throughout their entire pregnancy but I think having a more balanced sample size (more women with public insurance) would definitely have helped to uncover any differences in satisfaction.

5. Highlighting important issues such as this, which are often underreported or not discussed as much as they should be, are vital. While the differences found were not significant, I am sure that there are a number of additional factors, that if considered in a future study with a larger sample size, would indicate different results. Great work!