Hanna Ghaleb Kreiner ’07

DEGREES: B.S. in psychology, minor in visual studies; M.S.W., UCLA

JOB TITLES: Integrative psychotherapist, mindfulness and self-compassion teacher, author 

FAVORITE TRINITY MEMORY: I made lifelong friends at Trinity, and some of our best moments were hanging out in the hallway of Hansen and debriefing our weekend adventures over Mather brunch. I also am grateful for my creative experiences singing with the Trinitones, performing in plays, and painting in the studio. 

What led you to become a psychotherapist and mindfulness teacher? After Trinity, I had a brief stint in advertising and learned what I didn’t want to do (and was not very skilled in). I returned to research and assisted on a study of how psychotherapy affected people with rheumatoid arthritis. This started my journey helping others with evidence-based interventions that improve their psychological and physical well-being. Through yoga and my time at UCLA, I was introduced to mindfulness. I worked as an oncology social worker, support group facilitator, and primary care psychotherapist and continued to learn and practice mindfulness and compassion. I opened my private practice in 2018 and enjoy working for myself within a collective, the Seattle Mindfulness Center. I offer psychotherapy, teach courses, and write about mindfulness and self-compassion.

What do you enjoy most about your work? It’s an honor to know people deeply and to see humanity up close and personal (not just the highlight reels of social media or surface-level chitchat). I get to connect with people and offer understanding, compassion, and strategies that lead to relief from loneliness, anxiety, and depression. I get to witness people feeling better and know that makes the world a friendlier place.

What challenges do you face? I think the biggest challenges in my work are systemic issues of inequity and barriers to mental health services. Self-help is largely focused on individual well-being, which distracts from how our society is not meeting the basic human needs for all people. Mental health care also has wrongly become a luxury most cannot afford. Another challenge is helping people live lives in which they feel both empowered within and connected. In many ways, my work is focused on supporting individuals looking inward and reaching their personal goals. However, deep, lasting healing is born of our connection to the world. I aim to be of service through psychotherapy, mindfulness and compassion practices, and social justice advocacy. 

How has the pandemic affected your work? Practically, it means that I’ve only seen clients in person a few times in the past two years (there was that brief moment in July 2021 when it felt safe to be indoors, unmasked, having personal conversations that may include tears and nose blowing). Overall, there is an undercurrent of stress that many people have started to lose sight of after so long. Losses and stress add up, and having our usual life difficulties on top of a pandemic results in a burden that is often overwhelming. Yet, many people don’t realize the significance that living through a pandemic is placing on our baseline stress level. We could all be more compassionate with ourselves and others for being in this difficult time.

Why did you write your book, Self-Compassion Journal for First-Time Moms? The adjustment to parenthood is a monumental one with a steep learning curve rife with doubt, judgment, and criticism from ourselves and others. I’m a mom of two young kids and know it personally. Being a mom is the best and hardest thing I’ve done. I want to support new parents because they are ground zero for our collective future. If moms gave themselves more of the kindness and care they give others (and deserve just as much), they could feel happier and more resilient and connect to their great capacity to hold what comes with their role as mom. But, we still need universal paid parental leave. No amount of compassion can make up for that. 

How did your time at Trinity prepare you for your career? Having a liberal arts education was a great privilege. At the time, I was encouraged to study what interested me, which helped balance out the stress and uncertainty of what I would “do” with it. I encourage others to follow their interests, and the career path will unfold in time.

What was the most memorable course you took at Trinity? I must thank Sarah Raskin and Randolph Lee for advising and encouraging me to continue pursuing my interest in psychology professionally. It made all the difference. “Argument and Research Writing” with Robert F. Peltier was the best course I took. This class improved my writing and confidence and led me to become a peer tutor at the Writing Center. The material in class also taught me to see the ways stories are spun to persuade people, which every day helps me think critically and navigate the sensationalism and bias in the news today.