New director of alumni relations

Alexandra Muchura-Mensah
Photo by Helder Mira

Alexandra Muchura-Mensah ’04 started work on January 9, 2023, as Trinity College’s new director of alumni relations.

In a December 2022 announcement, Vice President for Advancement Michael Casey said, “As an alumna, Alexandra knows well the value of a liberal arts education from Trinity and the dynamics that shape the student and alumni experiences. [She] is a seasoned professional who brings with her a depth of professional experience and a breadth of knowledge that touches upon all areas of advancement work.”

That experience includes time working in the College’s Alumni Office, where from 2006–10 she held various roles of increasing responsibility, ultimately serving as assistant director of alumni relations. While working on campus, she oversaw a number of important alumni groups, including affinity groups that served the Asian, Black, Latinx, and LBGTQ+ communities, and launching the young alumni program of the Bantam Alumni Mentoring program.

Muchura-Mensah’s career then moved to independent schools. From 2010–17, she worked at Loomis Chaffee School in Windsor, Connecticut, as the associate director of alumni and parent relations/director of events, overseeing the alumni career network and affinity group engagement and leading the design and implementation of reunion programs. She also led Parents Weekend, regional and head of school receptions, and the Centennial Campaign celebration gala. 

Since 2017, Alexandra has worked at Miss Porter’s School in Farmington, Connecticut, where she has gained direct fundraising experience, first as associate director of the annual fund and then as lead gift officer. Her leadership was pivotal in 2021 when the team raised funds to renovate and rename a building for one of the first black alumnae of the school. 

Muchura-Mensah graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Trinity with a B.A. with honors in international studies with a concentration in African studies. She also was the recipient of the 2004 Professor Albert L. Gastmann Book Prize in International Studies.

Muchura-Mensah, who will report to Associate Vice President for Advancement Dwayne Busby, said, “I am a proud alumna and am delighted to return to Trinity. . . . I am excited to reengage with my own community, celebrating what makes Trinity strong and relevant to the world today and making space for all in our community who come from diverse backgrounds. The power of Trinity lies in the people we meet, the connections we make, and the opportunities we provide others. I have always been grateful for receiving the Merrill A. Yavinsky ’65 Scholarship, which made the Trinity experience possible for me. I look forward to seeing what we can do together, especially during the Bicentennial year.”