Professor of Physics and Environmental Science
  • Students in ENVS 305 - Soil Science determine soil color using a Munsell color chart

• First-year seminar students participate in Do-It-Day

• Students from the environmental science senior seminar (ENVS 401) visit Burnham brook, one of the first properties owned by the Nature Conservancy

• Checking out stereographic images on a fieldtrip to the local NRCS office

• Teaching the lecture component of ENVS 112L - Introduction to Earth Science

Courses

I like to keep things lively and hands-on, so I love to take my students outside. In many lecture courses that is not always possible, so we rely on the labs to get students’ hands dirty. That’s when I get jealous of our lab coordinator who gets to take our students to measure dinosaur tracks, collect invertebrates in nearby streams, or map the rocks on Trinity’s beautiful campus.

In upper-level courses that do not have a lab I try to take my students into the field as much as possible. In my soil science class I take my students into the field digging soil pits and analyzing soil profiles. In my first-year seminar we spent Trinity Days in New Hampshire photographing the White Mountains in beautiful fall colors. Every year we are taking students on a fieldtrip. Last year we went to Utah, the year before we froze our butts off in Iceland. Who knows where we will go next.
In the past years I have taught

• Algebra and calculus-based introductory physics (PHYS 101, 102, 131, 231)
  • An introductory course on climatology (ENVS 110)
  • Introductions to Earth science (ENVS 112L) and environmental science (ENVS 149)
  • A course on Earth systems science (ENVS 204)
  • Soil Science (ENVS 305)
  • First-year seminars on landscape photography (FYSM 167

To check out what I am teaching these days click here.