Question: what factors have caused an increase in elementary and secondary level homeschooling in the United States in recent years; and what demographic groups have become more attracted to this option over this period of time?
Thesis: Factors causing increased homeschooling religious and moral values, dissatisfaction with school academics and administration, safety concerns, travel distance, mobility, education of women, special needs, and internet communication.
“Homeschooling in the USA: Past, Present and Future” (Milton Gaither)
“Why Homeschooling Happened” (Milton Gaither)
“Scholastic Achievement and Demographic Characteristics of Home School Students in 1998” (Lawrence Rudner)
Main reasons for homeschooling:
(1) Religious and moral concerns
(2) Dissatisfaction with public schooling (administration and teaching)
(3) Concern for safety
(4) Academic and social results good
(1) still mainly driven by religious/moral concerns and dissatisfaction
(academic results, lack of religion, sex education)
(2) Growing school violence
(3) More people joining (minorities now 23%; broader appeal)
(4) Internet increasing access to teaching and materials