Highlights of Wundt
Founded experimental (physiological) psychology by brute force, quantity and breadth of work in the academic enterprise – experimentation from physiology, lab, students from all of the world, journal, books.
Kant and Herbart said that science required math and psychology of consciousness had no math
Background with Johannes Müller, then Helmholtz – experimental physiology. Helmholtz theory of color vision – 3 color. Elements. Like periodic table.
Fechner and RT’s brought mathematizing, quantification, and experiment possibilities
Analytic introspectionism associated with Wundt – illustrate with Helmholtz, Seurat
ALL colors of rainbow from 3 basic colors, embodied in computer.
Reaction time – from astronomer’s personal equation, then Donders (Dutch)
Subtractive procedure to get time of higher processes
- Reflex Inherited
- Automatic reaction (learned) Voluntary impulse
- Simple muscular reaction
- Simple sensorial reaction
- Cognition reaction Many stimuli, one reaction
- Association reaction Many stimuli, reaction with association
- Judgment reaction Many associations, followed by judgments
Külpe criticized this elementism and moved ideas toward Gestalt