Progress from Injury Prevention Center

Intimate Partner Violence Arrests in Connecticut 2010

Intimate Partner Violence Arrests in Connecticut 2011

Intimate Partner Violence Arrests in Connecticut 2012

Intimate Partner Violence Arrests in Connecticut 2013

Intimate Partner Violence Arrests in Connecticut 2014

Intimate Partner Violence Arrests in the Greater Hartford Area for 2010-2014

Injury Prevention Center Vision: To have a shaded polygon map of Connecticut from 2010-2014 that contains the rate of arrests, children involved, and the average rates of arrest per year. On the map, the towns should be labeled and be able to hover over the towns for the information. In addition, there would be a table containing the same information as well as a bar/line graph.

Round Talk Vision on April 12th: Since this is the first priority, the vision is to clip the greater Hartford area to represent the interval shelter homes for victims of intimate partner violence. With this, there will be a shaded polygon map with town labels, the rate of arrests without the involvement of children for 2010-2014. Since this will be used in Garry’s Power Point, he would like the map to be a screenshot.

Steps Completed for Data Visual Vision:
Shaded polygon maps completed for all five years.

Steps to be done for Data Visual Vision:
Compile the five years of data into one polygon map, recalculate the data to factor in child involvement, use another tool to label the towns, create the table and bar/line graph.

Steps Completed for Round Talk:
Clipped the greater Hartford from mapshaper.org and exported it to Google Fusion. And is in the progress of compiling/cleaning data.

Steps to be done for Round Talk:
Compile/clean arrest data to import into Google Fusion, label the town names, color code polygon and have this ready for Garry before April 12th for revisions.

2 thoughts on “Progress from Injury Prevention Center”

1. I really love how you are boldly trying different colors in polygon maps. Personally, I like how you used from grey to red in your fifth map. It visually gives a strong alert to match the theme of your maps. However, in your legend, the group ranges are not showing somehow even though the polygon map is color coded. Remember how we learnt to “lie” in the map? Currently, it seems like couple of the towns have extremely high assault rate. I suggest you talk to Garry and check if he wants to include some message behind the data.
    Also I like the idea of making the table and bar/line graph. Since you have so much data, it will be much easier for audience to compare on a trend diagram instead of switch between five maps.

2. Stacy, I really like the of colors you have used for your polygons in these visualizations. The contrast of grey and bright colors portray the maps in a very distinctive manner. I also like the fact that each town outline in the Polygon displays descriptive information. This information is very helpful to further analyze the map to its fullest. However, some of the information in the town polygons are not fully filled out. Filling out all the information categories with decimals would make the visualization look complete.
    Also, you might want to think about using the same color scheme for all of the visualizations. I think that it may help people compare and contrast between these visualizations better.