THE GOODWIN, 1 HAYNES STREET, HARTFORD, CT 06103

The Goodwin’s landmark terra cotta façade, preserved to look as it did when constructed as an apartment building in 1881 by brothers James J. Goodwin and the Rev. Francis Goodwin, belies the eight-month transformation that took place inside after RMS Companies and Greenwich Hospitality Group took ownership in 2016. This grand hotel in the heart of downtown Hartford reopened in May 2017 with 124 guest rooms (including suites and duplexes), more than 5,000 square feet of event space, and two dining options — Harlan Brasserie and Side Bar — that provide all-day dining and offer catering services. The hotel’s brochure promises that this “one-of-a-kind boutique hotel is focused entirely on providing exceptional guest experiences.”

PHOTO: WINTER CAPLANSON