Selected papers, by topic:
- Functional MRI and the study of human consciousness, Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 14: 818-831, 2002
- Terra Cognita: From functional neuroimaging to the map of the mind, Brain and Mind, 1: 1-24, 2000.
- Beyond ‘the Fringe’: A Cautionary Critique of William James, Consciousness and Cognition, 9: 629-637, 2000.
- Virtual lesions in the not-so-modular brain, Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 6:627-635, 2000.
- Consciousness, Connectionism, and Cognitive Neuroscience: A Meeting of the Minds, Philosophical Psychology, 9(1):61-81, March 1996
- Consciousness: A Connectionist Manifesto, Minds and Machines, 5(2):161-185, May 1995.
- Popping the Thought Balloon in The Philosophy of Daniel Dennett, a comprehensive assessment, D. Ross, A Brook, D. Thompson, eds., MIT Press, 2000
- Consciousness and Its Discontents, Communication and Cognition, 30(3/4): 273-285, 1997.
- Twilight of the Zombies, American Philosophical Association, Pacific Division, March 1997.
- Civil Schizophrenia, in Distributed Cognition and the Will, D. Ross and D. Spurett, eds. (Cambridge: MIT Press), in press.
- Through a glass darkly: Schizophrenia and Functional Brain Imaging, Philosophy, Psychiatry, and Psychology, forthcoming.
Conscious and Unconscious
- Leaping to Conclusions: Connectionism, Consciousness, and the Computational Mind, in Connectionism and the Philosophy of Mind, J. Horgan and J. Teinson, eds. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1991.
Connectionism and the Freudian unconscious
- The Fables of Lucy R.: Association and Dissociation in Neural Networks, in Connectionism and Psychopathology, D. Stein, ed., Cambridge University Press, pp. 247-272, 1998.
- Connectionist Hysteria: Reducing a Freudian Case Study to a Network Model, Philosophy, Psychiatry, and Psychology, 1(2):69-88, June 1994.
Teaching and Learning
- Street Rigor: Service Learning and the Liberal Arts.
- Context, Conversation, Community, in Excellent Teachers, Teaching Excellence, M. McLaughlin and D. Hyland, eds., Trinity College Press, in press.
- Sojourning in the Art World: Service Learning in the Philosophy of Art, in Philosophy and Service Learning, D. Lisman, ed., American Association for Higher Education, in press.
- Brain Teasers: After-Hours Experiments in Cognitive Neuroscience, in Neuroscience Methods: The Undergraduate Laboratory Experience, D. Blackburn, ed. Trinity College Press, 1996.
Ocassional flights (fiction and essays)
- Rubellium West, Pioneer of Ice Age Archeology
- ‘She never knew she was a rabbit’ (and other epitaphs), Socrates Lecture, Independent Degree Program, Trinity College, 2006.
Life in the fast lane of Liberal Arts