What We Offer
Each semester CLI offers faculty up to $500 of expense funding for each approved community-learning course. Allowable expenses include:
- stipends for community partners to meet with your students
- student transportation to community partner sites
- book and instructional materials, or printing costs
- video or photography equipment or services
- hourly wages for community-learning teaching assistants
- refreshments for events with community partners
- other relevant expenses approved in advance by CLI
For any questions, contact CLI Associate Director Megan Hartline by email or phone (x2583).
How to Reserve and Receive CLI Course Assistance Funds:
Step 1 – Please notify us in advance by filling out this quick online CLI fund reservation form. Submit this by the end of the second week of classes so that we can plan our budget accordingly. If you do not submit a reservation in advance, we may not be able to fund your course.
Step 2 – Write a rich one-paragraph description of the community-learning component of your course, attach a copy of your syllabus, and email to Megan Hartline for CLI approval. Submit this anytime during the semester. As we expand the program, we need rich descriptions of how we learn to feature on the website, and potentially, in your academic portfolios. See examples (*to come on the Courses page*). Be sure to include:
- List your course title, student enrollment, semester taught, and community partner(s).
- Describe the community-learning component, and how it fit with your broader course goals.
- Tell us how student learning was experiential; reciprocal with partners; and/or required students to consider new perspectives.
In your email, attach a copy of your course syllabus. Optionally, include any course assignments or photos that you give us permission to share on the web.
- To reimburse you or individual students, include all receipts (if paper receipts, submit originals). If paid by credit card, include a copy of your statement or similar proof-of-payment.
- To pay stipends to community partners or local experts, download a federal W-9 form for them to complete and submit.
- To pay hourly wages to student teaching assistants, download and submit a Trinity student payroll form in advance.
Send all reimbursement materials to administrative assistant Jennifer Fichera, McCook 202B (phone x2471). If we do not receive your expense request within 30 days after the end of the semester, it may not be funded.