Why I’m “In”

Suzy Wang (’13)

These views are my own and do not reflect the views of my employers.

Two months ago, if someone had told me I’d be graduating a semester late, I would have probably retaliated with a wisecrack and told them that they were crazy.  Moving to Colorado to organize teams of volunteers for the 2012 election for nine months—much less graduating late—was never on my agenda.  But, as I gear up for my big move, I realize that I’ve slowly let go of those inhibitions.  I am excited and a little nervous, but still grateful.

Most of us have a plan: graduate college, get a job, and achieve more than our parents were able to.  In these past three weeks at headquarters, I’ve had an epiphany: there is no absolute “plan” out there—just a series of decisions that ultimately form the larger narrative of our lives.  Being on the straight track, it can be easy to lose sight of all the opportunities we have at our disposal as undergraduates of Trinity College, but it’s worthwhile to take a moment to reflect on the road that brought us here and the many paths ahead.

Deciding to take the plunge and move to Colorado three weeks into my internship is a testament to all of this.  To paraphrase a line from our very own Professor Ned Cabot, the kaleidoscope of experiences that lead us to where we ultimately end up, not the final destination, is what matters.  As young adults, it is important to take as many opportunities that come our way.  Spending a semester working on a campaign is not the right decision for everyone, but it has made me realize that the urgency I perpetually felt about settling into a steady career was self-imposed.  We create our own timelines; we control the direction we move forward in.

Although my time as a Public Policy & Law major is far from over, I already see the ways this major has shaped me.  The skills I have acquired, the lessons I have learned, and the experiences I have had from studying among my peers and working with the faculty have transformed me into a smarter and wiser college student as well as a more mature and able young adult.  I am a product of my education at Trinity College—that much remains true no matter where I go.

This entry was posted in "Why Declare PBPL?", Internships, On the Campaign Trail. Bookmark the permalink.