Trinity Treasure

WGRAC

WGRAC Director Laura Lockwood M’95, right, and WGRAC Training and Program Coordinator Monique Daley, second from left, chat with Shaylee Boger ’23 and Posse Scholar Diante’ Dancy ’21 in the WGRAC Lounge and Library. Photo by Sarah McCoy

The Women & Gender Resource Action Center (WGRAC)—founded in 1977 as the Women’s Center at Trinity College—is a welcoming space on campus that provides education, builds community, and promotes empowerment of students with a focus on woman-identified students. Part of the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, along with the Office of Multicultural Affairs and the Queer Resource Center (QRC), WGRAC accomplishes its mission through educational, social, and cultural programming and dialogue. Annual events that create respectful interaction among people of all genders and backgrounds include Take Back the Night, Breaking the Binary Photo Shoot and Open Mic, Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, and The Vagina Monologues. WGRAC, led by Laura Lockwood M’95 and Monique Daley, supports five student-led organizations: the Big Sister-Little Sister program; Students Encouraging Consensual Sex (SECS); Promoting Healthy Awareness of the Body (PHAB); the Masculinity Project; and IGNITE, a leadership-development and empowerment group for women-identified students. WGRAC also provides required sexual misconduct education and prevention training for sophomores and oversees the campuswide Green Dot violence-prevention strategy; the Sexual Assault Resource Team (SART); and first-year orientation programs on Title IX rights, resources, and reporting options. “WGRAC has been a safe haven for me,” says Jaymie Bianca ’21, who co-founded IGNITE with Sarah Donahue ’20. “It has been a space where I can voice my opinions and be heard. I found my passion for advocacy and activism here.”

For more information about WGRAC, please visit the website.

Editor’s note: “Trinity Treasure” highlights a person, place, or thing on campus that is just what the name implies: a Trinity treasure. Do you have an idea for what to showcase? Please send your suggestions to sonya.adams@trincoll.edu.