“River History” by Dr. Eileen Fielding. Simsbury, CT: The Farmington Watershed Association, 2014.
Dr. Fielding, Director of the Farmington Watershed Association, gave a presentation on the history of the Farmington River in 2014. She was kind enough to export that presentation on a disc for future use. Dr. Fielding provides facts on what types of fish live in the Farmington, and also the relationship the natives had with the Farmington River who lived alongside or near it.
Williams, Mark. The Brittle Thread of Life. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2009.
Williams’ book is an important historical work about Salmon Brook, once a part of the original Simsbury. The author gives a history of the settlement of Simsbury, and eventually how the settlement of Salmon Brook came to be. Additionally, the fate of the Massacoes is discussed, with Williams suggesting massive death by disease and departure from the area.
Phelps, Noah A. A History of the Copper Mines and Newgate Prison at Granby, Conn., also, of The Captivity of Daniel Hayes, of Granby, by the Indians, in 1707. Hartford, CT: Tiff & Burham, 1845.
Phelps recounts the history of Newgate Prison and the copper mines in Granby, and also tells the story of Daniel Hayes. The story of Hayes capture and eventual return to Granby is the most related part of the text to the research. After harming a native’s dog in Weatogue, Hayes is captured and brought to Canada. Perhaps the most interesting part of the text is that Phelps includes the assertion that the problems with natives had ended long before this incident.
Colket, Kathleen. “Artifacts Leave Clues to Town’s Past,” January 15, 1987. Salmon Brook Historical Society, Granby, CT.
Colket writes an article about Leslie Dewey, a historic district resident of Simsbury. Dewey reportedly found a multitude of tools mostly within a one hundred and fifty foot radius on his twelve-acre property.
Bellantoni, Nicholas F. Nicholas F. Bellantoni to Mark Williams, March 18, 1991. Salmon Brook Historical Society, Granby, CT.
This is a letter written by the state archaeologist at the time, Bellantoni, to Mr. Williams regarding certain archaeological sites in Granby. Mr. Bellantoni writes that there are two main sites, West Point Site and Mechanics Point Site. At both sites, discoveries included stone and flint tools.