8
Oct

Teaching literature @ Trinity

Posted by: rring   in College Archives, Trinitiana

Burke 1-1As I continue my survey of the College Archives I recently discovered two large three-ring binders containing typed notes for “A Survey of American Literature” taught by Kenneth Walter Cameron in the 1950-51 school year.  These notes were donated to the archives by Hollis S. Burke, Class of 1951.

This led me to discover History of English and American Literature, by Charles F. Johnson, Professor of English Literature at Trinity from 1900-1931.  Johnson 1This work was published in 1900 and is part of the Trinitiana Collection.  These archival treasures opened up some questions for me:

What were the works read in the literature classes?
What were the themes of the classes and questions posed by instructors?
How did this all change over time?
How were the classes taught?—lecture, seminar.
The Burke notebooks contain many transcribed passages from various literary analyses and critical works.  Did students in the early 1950’s spend time transcribing these works themselves?Burke 2

[Posted by Peter Rawson, Associate Curator of Archives & MS Collections]

This entry was posted on Thursday, October 8th, 2015 at 5:57 pm and is filed under College Archives, Trinitiana. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed at this time.